Monday, November 21, 2011

a ski for the books

Minus 30. I asked Colin, "Col, are we idiots?" who skis at minus 30? Colin and I, obviously. This wasn't one of those piddly little skis to Harvey's Hut and back either. In fact, Colin and I agreed it was one of the top ten "epic skis" we've done. This time however, it was pleasant, unlike some of those other epic, but miserable skis.

We started out skiing with Dave and John along. Not far into the ski we spotted a grouse. It exploded upwards and landed in a tree, not 15 yards away. Colin took advantage of the opportunity.

A grouse (field dressed, wings attached) fits perfectly into the upper portion or your drink belt. We carried on down the trail to where we saw our second grouse. It was on a cut-bank. The grouse like cut-banks because it provides them with easy access to the fine gravel they need to digest their food. Coming down a hill with speed i saw the grouse up ahead. I made a spur of the moment decision to try to decapitate it with my pole. Close enough! the grouse was left flopping around in the snow and I made quick work of it. Col and I were now 2 for 2 with the grouse. I still cannot believe it. It could very well be the first grouse killed by a Swix CT1... only in Yukon! Too bad i didn't get it on camera.

Soon after, Col and I parted ways with Dave and John. For some reason they didn't want to ski the accent trail at -30... wimps. Here is a picture of colin climbing Mt Mac.
Half way up and theres already quite the view
We finally made it to the Fraser Loop. 
And just so you see how much snow is up there....
and then Colin started to show off
...and regretted showing off
too bad all I had with me was my dinky little phone camera!
At this point i was beginning to "bonk". The only thing keeping me going was the windchill. On the Descent we were flying down the mountain at 50km an hour. Add that to the -30 air temperature and you have a windchill of minus 50! I told Colin, "Col, we are idiots."

When we finally reached the Gravel Pits we found our selves on freshly groomed trails once again (Thanks Rudy Sudrich). Tired, cold and hungry, Colin and I hammered back to the chalet from the Gravel Pits in only 27 minutes to finish off our 3 hour trek. Here we are at the finish.

We jumped straight into the sauna afterwards and enjoyed a meal of spruce grouse late in the afternoon.

The rest of my day was spent chopping wood with fellow wood-chopper Fabian Brook. 2 cords in 2 hours. not bad for a couple of light weight cross-country skiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment