Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas Break

After a couple weeks of hard racing it sure felt great to be home and take a break from hotels and airports... because I don't breaks from training! We still have plenty of training hours: intervals, and strength workouts to do over the holidays.

Christmas is my favourite time of year, especially Christmas morning. Having my mom, dad, and 3 sisters in one place at one time is a rare occurrence these days and something that feels pretty special... and also the presents of course.

Following Christmas We did a skate sprint qualifier time-trial in which I managed to edge out Colin by one second.

Knute 2:55
Colin  2:56
Lee     3:01
David 3:03
Jeff     3:07

That same day I took part in (and regretted taking part in) a soccer tournament. Skiing is so low impact, sliding and gliding. Soccer on the other hand is stop, go, turn, sprint, trip, fall. I was completely wrecked for 2 or 3 days afterwards. despite putting in my best effort, our team lost the tournament. It was 5 years since I played soccer and after the tournament I think i'll wait at least 5 more before I play again.

Christmas holidays is always a time for hockey. I didn't get any hockey pictures (because i was too busy playing) but i did take this video of the awesome outdoor hockey hockey rink at Mt Lorne.


And what would the holidays be If I didn't go ski-dooing at minus 25. My skidoo is the one without the windshield.
What could be more extreme? An overnight dog mushing trip, you say. Thanks to Nansen I can also check that off my list. Here we are in the dog yard.

And heres a video of the trail. At 24sec you can see Duke eat a dog bootie off the trail

This was camp. We tied off the dogs for the night
Wouldn't you know it I forgot a chair. And a man needs a chair. I fixed one up in a jiffy with a couple scraggly pine trees and an axe. no rope, nails or glue. Sturdy as a rock
And comfortable too
After a cozy sleep in a wall-tent it was time to head'r home


I snapped this beauty coming back across Mconnell Lake, Mt Lorne in the back ground.
We got back to Nansen's and played some Crokinol. We're alright.


Blogger makes my HD video look like crap but I won't let that ruin the last 6 days I have here at home. I'm glad to be healthy and looking forward to tearing up the Whistler trails for my first time.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment